Quickel Church History
North Eastern York County History In Preservation NeyChip
"The Rev. Nicholas Hornell became the pastor of Christ Lutheran Church in York in October of 1763, and at the same time he began to serve our congregation. It is from this information that the year 1763 was established as the beginning of Quickel Evangelical Lutheran Congregation. During this time and until the pastorate of the Rev. C .J. Deininger the congregation was a part of the Spring Garden Charge. Pastor Deininger is referred to as the founder of Quickel’s Charge. The first authentic records of Quickel Evangelical Lutheran Church are contained in a baptismal register dated 1765. ...It is believed that the first meetings of the congregation were held in the homes of the early German settlers in the community until the middle of the year 1767. At this time a stone school house was built on lands owned by Frederck Eicholtz, Ludwig Weir and Henry Shank, west of Mt Washington Church. This school house then became the seat of worship for the early congregation...In 1770, on land acquired from Michael Quickel and his wife Barbara, the first church building was erected. Obviously it is from this source that our congregation acquired the name of‘Quickel’...The records indicate that in 1793 this building was enlarged, but details are not available pertaining to the enlargement. This building housed the congregation in its worship and various services for eighty years, when it was replaced by the present building in 1850...It is the same building used for worship today, and to which additions and improvements have been made. The building originally was without a bell-tower, bell or steeple. Thirty-one years later, 1881, the building was remodeled and spire and bell-tower with a bell weighing about 1500 pounds were the major items of the remodeling.... In 1926 the church building had undergone a major renovation and face-lift. This included the installation of new floors, pews and the relocation of the old pulpit...On June 4, 1950, in the one-hundredth anniversary year of the erection of the original building, a Ground-breaking service was conducted. ..Services for the Dedication of the new addition, carpeting and redecoration of the existing building were held on November 18 and 25, 1951... [Additional renovations were made 1975 through 2011.]
Early history reveals that the Reformed congregation, which owned jointly with the Lutheran congregation the property and facilities, was organized in the year 1767. This union relationship continued until 1957. For several years prior to 1957, during the pastorate of the Rev. Dr. Emmanuel Hoover, many ideas were expressed and discussions held concerning the possible merger of the two congregations, and if this could not be affected then a fair means of dissolution would be sought. In 1956 the decision to dissolve the union relationship was made.
In 1797 the membership was 103, and by 1886 it had grown to 425 communicant members... Since the population during the early period of our congregation was all German, sermons and services were conducted in the native tongue (German). Catechatical instruction was also given in the German language. By October, 1890, when the Rev. Dr. Adam Stump became the pastor of the congregation two-thirds of all services, except for the singing, was in German. The use of the German language was discontinued before the close of the ministry of Dr. Stump, probably around 1912. The church has commonly been referred to during the years as Zion Kirche, The German Lutheran Church (Kirche), Quickel’s Lutheran Church, Quickel’s German Lutheran Society. The official name, however, is “Quickel Evangelical Lutheran Church” having been so named by the Articles of Incorporation dated August 13, 1956. "
The above was taken from Quickel Evangelical Lutheran Church website. It contains much more history details.
Zion's Kirche (German for church)
NeyChip would love
to hear from you.
Just send us your comments here.