“The Borough is situated on land that was obtained by John Nickey in 1740, an heir of William
Penn. In 1814, William Reeser purchased the land noting its proximity to the Susquehanna River
and markets in the south... Its beginning was unique, Resser felt it would make an ideal site for a
town. So he decided to conduct a lottery. First, he divided his land into 100 lots and sold 100
tickets at$100.00 each. Reeser hired Daniel Small, of York, to lay out a portion of the tract into a
According to historians, crowds overflowed to the borders of the town on the day of the lottery.
Everyone who purchased a ticket received a portion of the land. The drawing merely decided
which parcel of the land the ticket holder would receive.
Reeser made a profit of $500.00 and in 1816 he built a large brick mansion at the angle
formed by the turnpike and York Road... In January 1825, Marquia de Lafayette stopped at the
home of Reeser on his way to Harrisburg…. The history books say many years prior to 1885, the
Resser mansion was turned into a hotel. A man named Flury turned it into a store in the early
1900’s, probably about 1904. Samuel Schroll, Jr. took over the store in the 1920’s. The Schroll
family operated the store until the late 1950’s. It was then used as the family home until 1986.
[At that time, the building was razed and a service station for Atlantic Refining company was
Originally, Manchester was named Liverpool. Thirteen years after the town was laid out, on
February 13, 1827, the Manchester Post Office was established… Reeser was appointed the
first postmaster. The town and the Post Office continued to have different names until August 27,
1869, when the borough was incorporated. At that time the name was charged from Liverpool to
Manchester. The name was changed at that time because there was a town named Liverpool in
In June 28, 1863, General Jubal Early dispatched Colonel William H French's 17th Virginia
Cavalry to burn two Northern Central Railway bridges over the Conewago Creek. The troopers
followed what is today Church Road to reach Board Road. They headed through the village of
Liverpool Post Office. About 400 Union soldiers had been encamped on Col Hoff's farm, to
guard these bridges but they crossed over the Susquenhanna during the early morning, fearing
the approach of a large army. A few shots were fired at the last boat load by the Confederates.
Forty years later, Michael Gross spoke with historian George R. Prowell about the area's
The First Union Church was built and dedicated on January 21, 1822, in front of the Union
Cemetery. It was sponsored by the Presbyterians and Lutherans.of York. In 1832, it became a
regular appointment for the United Brethren in Christ. This log Union Church was used until it
was torn down in 1880. The St Paul United Brethren Church moved to High Street. The Second
Union Church was build that year on the same location and used by the Evangelicals. This
building was used until 1902 when the St Paul Evangelical Church moved to Cooper Street. The
Second Union Church was razed in 1954 The only thing still remaining are the steps leading up
to the previous location of the church and the Veteran's Memorial now stands in its place.
For many years, the two congregations, now just a block apart, would attend each other
services. The one would have services in the morning and the other in the afternoon. In 1946,
the two denominations merged to become the Evangelical United Brethren Church. At that time,
St Paul Evangelical Church changed their name to Albright Evangelical United Brethren Church.
Then on Easter Sunday 1956, the two churches merge and became one.
[It is the only remaining church in the Borough limits.] Two other churches, one on High Street
and the other on Cooper Street joined together to build St. Paul United Methodist Church on
Board Road [just outside the Borough]. Both buildings now serves as an apartment houses...
The original school building in the area was the old Mennonite Meeting House, just north of the
town. The Mennonite Meeting House is still standing, on its present site. It is still being used as