Elm Beach & Conewago Inn History
North Eastern York County History In Preservation NeyChip
Briefly named the Creekside Inn, the restaurant and tavern has since been known as the Conewago Inn. The deed to the main log building dates to 1860. The building served as a farm house until the early 1920's when enterprising citizens took advantage of its prime location and established and inn named for the creek that flows nearby. Prior to and during the American Civil War, slaves escaping from the south were hidden in what is now the basement of the Inn as well as in a barn which stood across the road.
In later years, a trolley line brought visitors by the hundreds to Elm Beach Park, a stone's throw away from the Conewago Inn, which became a popular stop for tourists who enjoyed the Inn's food and beverages as well as hot baths and garage facilities. During this time, an outdoor stand sold firecrackers and souvenirs in front of the Inn and lavish banquets were held on the lawns at the side of the building.
These two are Manchester side across from
Most Pictures from Larry Good
Conewago Inn Flood of 1972
NeyChip would love
to hear from you.
Elm Beach around 1909