Beginning of Northeastern School District
North Eastern York County History In Preservation NeyChip
Effective July 7, 1952, by popular vote of the electorate, a merger was formed by the School districts of Manchester Borough, Mount Wolf Borough, York Haven Borough and East Manchester Township. The newly formed district was named Forge Hill School District. At the same time School District of Conewago Township formed a jointure with Forge Hill. This jointure was named the Conewago-Forge Hill Joint School System. On July 7, 1953 the Second Voting District of Newberry Township was added to this Jointure. The total number of Board Members was 35.
At a General Election in 1954 the electorate approved the merger of the District of Conewago and the Second Voting District of Newberry Township with the Forge Hill School District, effective July 1955. The new merger was named the Northeastern School District of York County. All Directors served until the expiration of the tern for which they were elected, the number gradually decreasing until December 1957 when the number of directors was reduced to 7. Each of the Districts is represented by a director on the Merged Board, the additional director, to make the required 7 member board is elected at large.
Frank W. Zeigler, President - at large
Marshall C. Busser, Vice Pres. - York Haven Borough
Russell C. Strine, Treasurer - Conewago Township
William S. Kann - Manchester Borough
Earl J. Rentzel - East Manchester Township
Charles S. Wolf - Mount Wolf Borough
Henry R. Buckwalter, non-member Secretary
The Northeastern York County School Building Authority, incorporated December 29, 1952, was organized under the Municipality Authorities Act of 1945, PL382, as amended, pursuant to Resolutions of the Boards of School Directors of the School District of Conewago and of the Forge Hill School District. These Districts together with second Voting District of Newberry Township have since, by vote of the electorate of the Districts, Formed by merger the Northeastern School District.
The governing body of the Authority is a Board consisting of five members appointed by the Board of School Directors. Each member is a citizen of the School District. The terms of the members of the Board are staggered so that the term of at least one member expires each year. Members of the Board may be reappointed. None of the members of the Board is a member of the Board of School Directors. The purpose of the Authority is to finance the construction of school facilities.
In 1954, the Board of School directors arranged for the construction by the Northeastern York County School Building Authority of a new 17 room elementary school in Conewago Township, for the addition of 8 rooms and renovation of the Mt. Wolf Junior High School building for conversion into an elementary center, and for the addition of 5 classrooms, office, health room and renovation of the Manchester High School building for conversion into an elementary center. To finance this construction, the Authority issued $860,000 School Revenue Bonds on September 1, 1954. The Conewago elementary school was complete January 1, 1956 and as occupied by the school district during January 1956. Both the Mt. Wolf and Manchester projects were completed and occupied on September 6, 1955. On these projects the School District pays to the Authority, on December 15th of each year, an annual rental of $46,200.
In January 1956, the construction of a new 9- room elementary school at York Haven was begun to house elementary pupils in the York Haven Newberry Area. To finance this construction, the Authority issued $340,000 School Revenue bonds. This project the School District pays to the Authority on December 15th of each year, an annual rental of $19,700.
The latest step in the overall building program for Northeastern School District was the construction of a new Junior-Senior High School located in Manchester. To finance the construction, the Authority issued $2,025,000 in School Revenue Bonds on July 1, 1956. This building was occupied by the School District on September 3, 1958. For this project the School District pays to the Authority, an annual rental of $117,900.
Interest earned on construction funds and interest saved on bonds retired will result in an ultimate saving in excess of $150,000 to the School District
Information provide by
District York County Pa
Old Grade School in Strinestown was taken down.
1915 Mount Wolf Grade School had many uses but now sits empty. See it's history.
Old High School was used as an Elementary School and is now School District's administration office.
A class from Manchester Grade School.
It was behind Christ Lutheran Church.
See below painting below. It is now a parking lot for fire house & church.
NeyChip would love
to hear from you.