"The village of Newberrytown was laid out by Cornelius Garretson in the year of 1791. He
provided a public well that was used until 1903. William Kline was one of the original lot
owners of the village. In the Continental army he served in Col. Anthony Wayne’s regiment.
Frederich Byers served in the detachment under Col. Almon until 1779 when he enlisted in a
corps of cavalry under Capt. Selinki. The nick name “Hessian” applied to him because he
nobly assisted to capture a number of them in the battle of Brandywine. In 1826, Thomas
Wickersham secured the establishment of a post office that the name then became
Newberrytown. During the year 1831, Jacob B Wolf introduced the manufacture of cigars in
town. In 1825, York County Rangers was the name of a volunteer military company organized
in Newberrytown. They were commanded by Capt. John Crull. They all joined the Union Army
when the Civil War started.
Union Meeting House was located a short distance northeast of Newberrytown. In 1833, the
house was built by several dominations and was used for services and a school until 1884.
Just outside of Newberrytown is a place called Paddletown. Abigail Miller had two married
daughters, who lived in that area. Their many children paddled back and forth to visit
grandmother, who gave the area the name.
In 1745, Quakers settling in the area around Newberrytown built a log meeting house for
purposes of worship. In 1792, the primitive structure in Newberrytown was replaced by a
simple stone building, It was, used until 1811 when they built a new stone building two miles to
the west of town. The older meeting house was sold and made into a school and now private
dwelling. Miraculously, the 1811 Redlands Meeting House and its original furnishings have
Joseph Garretson would often shelter runaway slaves on his farm, along what is now known
as Old Quaker Road, putting them to work and paying them wages. His activities became
fairly well known, and four men from Conewego township, members of the Fetrow family,
decided to make some money at Joseph’s expense. In August 1824, their actions led to the
death of a freedom seeker who had found shelter and acceptance from the Quaker and his
Underground Railroad in York County"