Etters - Yocumtown History
North Eastern York County History In Preservation                          NeyChip
  "Early settlers were also attracted to the vicinity of Yocumtown because of the water power of
Fishing Creek. Along its banks, they built fulling mills that carded wool for area farmers, woolen
cloth mills, and grist mills. By the mid-1820s, the village of Yocumtown had established itself with
a log schoolhouse, a blacksmith shop, and a tannery.

    Thomas Mills, in 1814, built the first house where Yocumtown stands. Willian Naylor built a
fulling mill where the wool of the region was carded just south of Yocumtown in 1765. The turnpike
between York and Harrisburg was completed in the early 1800’s, there were two competing stage
lines. The cost one way was 50 cents and it included a good meal. An important stopping place
for exchange horse was at Henry’s Etter’s tavern. He secured establishment of a post office in his
tavern in 1838." Etters is the name of the post office in Goldsboro, even though there is no
incorporated place known as "Etters". But even USPS interchanges 17319 as Etters and
Goldsboro.  Also, Yocumtown and Valley Green areas are often called Etters.
    Yocumtown Church of God was founded in 1871,. At that time, a small meeting house, then called the Yocumtown Union Church. The meeting house, established in 1825, was shared by three other denominations and an independent church, all seeking a place of worship in the vicinity. Among the first to preach here was Rev. John Winebrenner, who founded the Church of God in 1830, and for whom the Winebrenner Theological Seminary was named.

    And so a new and larger church was built on the same site, funded by “contributions from members of different denominations and other persons not professors of religion…intended for the use of all evangelical denominations who may desire to worship the living God therein.”

   And so a new and larger church was built on the same site, funded by “contributions from members of different denominations and other persons not professors of religion…intended for the use of all evangelical denominations who may desire to worship the living God therein.”

    At around this time, $8.50 was collected from members of the Union Sunday School to purchase a pulpit bible. This bible had to be replaced in 1881 because Abe Coble, a local blacksmith, brought his dog to prayer meeting on Wednesday night; the dog fell asleep and was locked in the church until Sunday morning. During his imprisonment, the dog destroyed part of the bible. On the inside of the back cover this inscription is written…“This Bible has been finished and polished by one of the extra dogs that the City of Yocumtown contains.” May 10, 1881.

   Yocumtown Church of God continued to worship in the Union Church until 1991, when the membership followed God’s leading and built a new church at 160 Red Mill Road, Etters, PA, located in Northern York County less than one mile from the old church we called home for 120 years.

Addition articles about the area:
Memories and recollections of Fishing Creek Valley 1857-1907
History of Salem Church or Stone Church Fishing Creek Valley 1844-1908
History of Goldsboro Brown Sandstone Quarries 1851

Excerpts from:
Newberry Township
The Beginning 1700-1900
1988 Center Square Press
By: Newberry Township
Heritage Committee
NeyChip would love
to hear from you.
Just send us your comments here.

View NeyChip License